Click here for a PDF job description.
Are you an exceptional technology leader looking to solve some tough technical challenges and through doing so “change the world”? Join RareCan and help us improve outcomes for millions of people with cancer around the world.
RareCan is an award-winning digital health company focused on improving outcomes for people with rare and less common cancers. We are looking for an outstanding and highly strategic CTO who wants to have a global impact on how millions of people with cancer are treated.
Why is this important?
5 year survival rates for people with rare cancers are 47%, compared to 65% for people with common cancers. Yet rare cancers aren’t rare: they account for around half of all cancers, affecting 9m people globally.
What do we do?
Working with patient consent, we bring together multimodal data for precision diagnosis and accurate longitudinal data, to provide our members (people with cancer) with personalised information and tools to better understand and manage their cancer, and the global life science industry with a platform to accelerate the pace at which new diagnostics and treatments are brought to market.
Why join now?
Ahead of our next fundraising round we are looking to bring a CTO into our leadership team to help us develop our technology stack, data pipeline and AI roadmap and secure our investment; and then with our new investment, lead its implementation, driving RareCan forwards as the goto digital health technology for people with cancer and leading global platform for precision oncology research.
What will you get stuck into?
There are a broad range of opportunities and challenges for our CTO to get stuck into, including:
- Rapid curation of the multi-modal data needed to deliver precision diagnostics and detailed longitudinal data needed to drive precision medicine research
- Design and implementation of a scalable enterprise technology infrastructure
- Development of our product and data pipelines
- Driving cutting edge use of bioinformatics and data science to support us achieving our goals
- Partner with senior leaders in the NHS and other hospital systems globally
- Overseeing the implementation of our technology, practices, resources, and ensuring technology implementation meets all appropriate security and compliance standards
- Making a difference: you must be driven to improve patient care
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone who has demonstrable experience in successfully leading some or all of these areas in a health tech company, preferably with experience of scaling them across a health tech company. You don’t need to have done it all, nor is it essential that you have already been at a C-level, but you do need to:
- Have broad technical knowledge and a hunger to be at the forefront of the application of technology in health. Still able to program, although we don’t expect you to do this on a day-to-day basis – but you should be able to read the code your team writes.
- Have extremely high strategic capacity, working with other teams to guide the direction of the company overall
- Have experience building regulated devices in a regulated industry (e.g. healthcare, finance, etc.)
- Have deep knowledge of healthcare digital transformation, interoperability, and healthcare standards such as HL7, FHIR, DICOM etc.
- Have experience building and deploying machine learning solutions. Whilst we don’t require a mathematician, you should have a good understanding of different approaches to machine learning, and the steps involved in deploying these solutions.
- A desire to be a key part of the leadership team of an ambitious startup aiming to have a global impact on how millions of people with cancer are treated.
Why join our team?
Founded by people with personal drivers to want to improve outcomes for people with rarer forms of cancer, RareCan has a great culture built around empowering the team to transform the experience of patients and researchers through fostering hope, collaboration, and a ‘can do – will do’ attitude and ethic. You’ll be joining the C-suite with equity options in an ambitious young company and given the tools and support to deliver something outstanding and life changing.